Table of Contents
Fixing a leaking kitchen faucet usually appears monotonous at the beginning. It may occur as most DIY enthusiasts do not know the basics of such a job.
By saying that, I do not mean that there is no harder part in it; in fact, finding the right gadget for fixing is occult challenging.
In the following lines, there are few show-offs about the entire replacement process. It is intended to guide you about finding the right replacement part. After following the whole article, you will master stopping spout drips and other acute functions about such fixing.
The procedures described here fix a leaking Kitchen Faucet that has versatility in characteristics. Following the same process will enable you to fix single-lever bathroom faucets too.
Kitchen Faucet Parts Offer Frequent Challenges
Different models of kitchen faucets may differ in their designs and other details, but some parts require frequent fixing or replacement.
It is the point from where the water streaming starts. Its location is at the outer end of a faucet.
These are plastic or rubber rings. These offer a tight seal between the spout and handle. A stout latch allows water to have a free flow from the spout without a drip.
Assembly of Domes
The adjoined domes hide the mechanical elements of a faucet. The faucet thus demonstrates a formal look.
It stays at the uppermost part of the faucet. It helps regulate water flow and temperature.
You May Read: How To Replace a Kitchen Faucet
Tools and Materials Needed
Fundamental types of tools are required to fix a leaking Kitchen Faucet. The user needs to ensure that the tools and materials collected to carry out the work befit the faucet design and model.
The job is purely a DIY one unless there are critical issues. Users will have to seek professional help to resolve acute mechanical problems.
The following tools are invariably needed while performing such a fixing job:
- A Flat-head screwdriver
- Allen wrenches
- Slip-joint pliers
- Needle-nose pliers
Taking Older Parts to the Store to Help Find Replacements
It is hardly found that the owner of a faucet knows the type. From the stamp on the product, they become convenient with the brand name only.
The information may serve the purpose of finding a proper replacement for fixing a leaking Kitchen Faucet. The experts recommend that the safest bet under such circumstances is to remove the worn parts to the nearby store. Plumbing experts at the store will find the right kit for you.
Some parts are most conveniently found in most hardware stores. These include the various types of rotary ball faucets.
With cartridge-type faucets, if the product is a reputed one, these cartridges and other kits for repair are readily available in most of the plumbing and other home centers.
You are ill-luck in case you own a disc-type of a faucet or a brand that is not so popular in the market. The parts are not available in the normal state within the market. Therefore, you will have to place orders and wait for their arrival.
Besides, there are lots of variations in the form of stock in most of the stores. It makes the matter more straining for the faucet owner.
Carrying out the Process
At the time of fixing the leaky kitchen faucet, the following steps need to be carried:
- Start with disconnecting the water flow to the faucet. It can be done by squeezing the valve under the tap or from the mainline.
- Open the faucet to drain out excess water. Sink drains are plugged so that smaller parts do not fell and lost in the process.
- Use Allen Wrench to detach the handle from the faucet. The screw at the base of the handle is removed and set in a safe place.
- Make use of the slip-joint pliers. It helps in loosening the lifting the dome assembly. Thus, the DIY enthusiast or the professional repairer will be able to see the bonnet, ball, cam, and different other accessories at that portion.
- With needle-nose pliers, you can now remove the plastic cam and nut.
- Then the nuts are checked to find out any sign of wearing or cracking. Following the process will also help you to check whether there is any growth of sediment.
- The balls are replaced with the new materials you have purchased from the stores.
- Checking the O-rings comes in the next phase. The flat-head screwdriver helps in the process.
- You will be inspecting the orientation of the springs. Replace the suffering rings with a new one you have gathered for the purpose. Check the setting beforehand to ensure that the news one fits right to your faucet.
- Finally, you will have to reassemble the device to assure completion of fixing a leaking Kitchen Faucet job.
While carrying out the fixing a leaking Kitchen Faucet job, you will have to observe some precautions. A systematic follow-up of the processes helps in retrieving the full performance from the renovated piece.
- Do not make any mess of the order and orientation of the repaired parts in the faucet if you can’t remember the settings, better use a video camera to record the unplugging process.
- You can better help your memory as you set the parts in the same order as those that have removed. Applying the reverse order will get everything adequately arranged.
- As you have eliminated the entire elements, you need to inspect the innate of the valve for bits of mineral deposits. Clean those deposits or any other sub-material with a piece of more excellent cotton cloth.
- Loosening of a mineral deposit is expertly soaking into vinegar.
- If the faucet has a hole in the body, water-flowing is affected. At the time of fixing a leaking Kitchen Faucet, you will have to use a screwdriver or pen-knife to clear out the face of such a hole.
- Before fixing the body part, it is required that the user holds a diminutive over the dripping faucet. Then the water shutoff valve is opened a bit to flush out the debris. Such debris may be of the already loosened accessories.
- After completion of the reassembly process, the faucet will be opened at the middle portion. The shutoff valves will also be opened by striking the knob to the right. It will reconnect the water flow.
- You will be leaving the faucet open for a few hours till the tide becomes easy. With this, the bubbles of air that may have been deposited at the time of work will clear out.
- If the flow of water is not eased within a reasonable time, it might be due to the aerator’s plugging. You will have to clean the aerator by unscrewing it.
Wrapping It Up
Leaky faucets offer more than merely an everyday annoyance. The International Environmental Protection Agency has pointed that faucets dripping at once per second are wasting around 3000 gallons of water each.
Such an amount of water equals 180 showers. The owner that resides in a municipal area where water comes at high prices will be able to realize only the monetary value of the waste.
An acute realization will clear the triviality of sparing one hour towards fixing a leaking Kitchen Faucet in comparison to saving such a massive amount of water for the planet.
Below is all our Faucet FAQ To make your experience a bit smoother, we have organized them in one place. Feel free to browse through a few and find exactly what you’re looking for.
Thanks for reading.